India

‘Hurt both sides of Atlantic’: How world leaders reacted to Trump’s reciprocal tariffs | World News

Italian Prime Miner Giorgia Meloni has criticised US President Donald Trump’s decision to impose a 20% tariff on European Union imports, calling it “wrong” and warning that it would not benefit either the US or the EU. “We will do everything we can to work towards an agreement with the United States, with the goal of avoiding a trade war that would inevitably weaken the West in favour of other global players,” Sky News quoted her as saying.
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced sweeping tariffs on major trading partners including India , calling April 2 “Liberation Day” and declaring it “one of the most important days in American hory”. Speaking on the White House’s Rose garden, he said the US had been “looted, pillaged, and raped” its trade partners for decades, as he vowed to impose “reciprocal tariffs” matching foreign duties on US goods.
Trump displayed a chart detailing the percentage the US will tariff each country, based on what they charged the US with. “We will charge them approximately half of what they are and have been charging us, so the tariffs will be not a full reciprocal,” Trump said.

Reactions from European leaders

Ireland: Irish Prime Miner Micheál Martin called the decision “deeply regrettable” and unjustified. “More than €4.2 billion worth of goods and services are traded daily between the EU and the US. Disrupting this deeply integrated relationship benefits no one,” he stated.

The decision the US tonight to impose 20% tariffs on imports from across the European Union is deeply regrettable.
I strongly believe that tariffs benefit no one.
My priority, and that of the government, is to protect Irish jobs and the Irish economy. pic.twitter.com/L2dc6jnzOO
— Micheál Martin (@MichealMartinTD) April 2, 2025

Spain: Spanish Prime Miner Pedro Sánchez vowed to protect Spain’s businesses and workers while reaffirming his country’s commitment to global trade. He promised to “continue to be committed to an open world,” reported Sky News.
Sweden: Swedish Prime Miner Ulf Krersson warned against rising trade barriers. “We don’t want growing trade barriers. We don’t want a trade war. We want to find our way back to a path of trade and cooperation together with the US,” he stated.
European Parliament: Manfred Weber, president of the European People’s Party (EPP), sharply criticised Trump’s move. “To our American friends, today isn’t Liberation Day—it’s Resentment Day. Donald Trump’s tariffs don’t defend fair trade; they attack it out of fear and hurt both sides of the Atlantic,” he said.

To our American friends, today isn’t liberation day—it’s resentment day. Donald Trump’s tariffs don’t defend fair trade; they attack it out of fear and hurt both sides of the Atlantic.
Story continues below this ad

Europe stands united, ready to defend its interests, and open to fair, firm talks.
— Manfred Weber (@ManfredWeber) April 2, 2025

Ronald Reagan once said: “The freer the flow of world trade, the stronger the tides for economic progress and peace among nations.”
We will not give up on these words. We want a good deal with the US. Without losers – only winners.
— Manfred Weber (@ManfredWeber) April 2, 2025

Global response beyond Europe

Australia: Australian Prime Miner Anthony Albanese argued that the tariffs would ultimately hurt American consumers. “This is why our government will not be seeking to impose reciprocal tariffs. We will not join a race to the bottom that leads to higher prices and slower growth,” he said.

Our Government will always stand up for Australia.
These are uncertain times – but all Australians can be certain of this: we will always stand up for Australian jobs, Australian industry, Australian consumers and Australian values.
These tariffs are not unexpected, but they… pic.twitter.com/bXaFTcvnN8
— Anthony Albanese (@AlboMP) April 2, 2025

Brazil: Brazil’s Congress responded passing an Economic Reciprocity Law to counter Trump’s 10 per cent tariff. While Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has not yet made an official statement, he previously said his country “cannot stand still” in the face of such trade barriers, reported BBC.
Canada: Although Canada was not explicitly mentioned in Trump’s latest tariff announcement, Prime Miner Mark Carney confirmed that the country would still be affected. Carney vowed to “fight these tariffs with countermeasures.”

My response to President Trump’s announcement today: pic.twitter.com/HHU1UJP1GN
— Mark Carney (@MarkJCarney) April 3, 2025
Washington’s response: ‘Sit back, take it in’
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned against retaliation from affected countries, cautioning that escalation would only worsen the situation. “If you retaliate, there will be escalation. Sit back, take it in,” he told Fox News.

President Trump signed the Declaration of Economic Independence for the American people.
For decades, the trade status quo has allowed countries to leverage tariffs and unfair trade practices to get ahead at the expense of hardworking Americans.
The President’s horic actions…
— Secretary of Treasury Scott Bessent (@SecScottBessent) April 2, 2025
With some countries considering countermeasures and others urging negotiation, the coming weeks could determine whether the world faces a full-scale trade war or a new round of diplomatic talks.
(With inputs from BBC, Sky News, Fox News)
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd

Expand

Related Articles

Back to top button