Man ress arrest, drags ICE officer with car near Chicago, shot dead | World News

Amid the ongoing Operation Midway Blitz in Chicago, Illinois, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer opened fire and killed a suspect on Friday after he tried to drag an officer with a car.
According to the Department of Homeland Security, the incident happened in the Franklin Park suburb, about 18 miles west of Chicago, after the suspect tried to evade arrest driving his car at the officers and dragging one of them.
Suspect resed arrest: ICE
The suspect, who had a hory of reckless driving, refused to comply while they attempted to arrest him and drove his car at the officers.
Story continues below this ad
One of the ICE officers was hit and dragged the car. The department said the officer felt a threat to his life and opened fire.
Though the ICE officer and the suspect were taken to a local hospital, the latter was pronounced dead.
“We are praying for the speedy recovery of our law enforcement officer. He followed his training, used appropriate force, and properly enforced the law to protect the public and law enforcement,” said Assant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin in a statement.
Police officers block a street as demonstrators march at a protest opposing “Operation Midway Blitz” and the presence of ICE. (Photo: AP)
Operation Midway Blitz
The shooting comes as ICE is a little less than a week into an immigration enforcement operation called Midway Blitz in Chicago.Story continues below this ad
According to the DHS, the operation will target the criminal illegal aliens who flocked to Chicago and Illinois.
The operation was launched in honour of Katie Abraham, a Chicago woman killed earlier this year in Urbana in a drunk driving hit-and-run crash involving an undocumented immigrant from Guatemala.
Trump backs off from sending National Guard to Chicago
Earlier, US President Donald Trump had threatened to deploy the National Guard in Chicago, like he had done in other Democrat-run cities, Los Angeles and Washington, DC.
However, amid vocal opposition from Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, on Friday, Trump said he will send the National Guard to Memphis, Tennessee — though he “would have preferred going to Chicago.”

