Wimbledon 2025: Jannik Sinner breezes past Novak Djokovic in straight sets to enter final | Tennis News

Novak Djokovic was handed a chastening three-set defeat world no 1 Jannik Sinner in the semi-final of the Wimbledon as the Serbian’s dreams of winning a record 25th major singles championship was put on hold. Sinner will take on Carlos Alcaraz in the Wimbledon men’s final, after the Spaniard defeated Taylor Fritz 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (6) in the semifinals.
There were brief flickers of a fight from Djokovic on Friday in the semis, as he saw Sinner take a two-set lead without too much resance. Then, Djokovic sprung into gear, taking a 3-0 lead in the third set to spark hopes of a famous comeback. But it wasn’t to be. Sinner soon rode to a 4-3 lead in the third set, before sealing the final set a 6-4 margin.
“Amazing, cannot believe, It was a tournament I always watched on the tv when I was young, I could not imagine being here playing in the final,” Sinner said after the win, when reminded that he would be playing in his first final at Wimbledon.
Story continues below this ad
Since 1995, five men have made it through to the final of every Grand Slam: Sinner joins the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic.
“Yes, it’s some good company,” Sinner said to giggled on the centre court. “It shows I’m growing as a player on all surfaces,” he added.
The 38-year-old Serbian was chasing a record-tying eighth Wimbledon title. The defeat at Wimbledon comes on the heels of the French Open last month, where Sinner had again defeated the Serb in straight sets in the semi-finals.
Djokovic had breezed past a 23-year-old Flavio Cobolli in the quarterfinals, but his resance ended against another 23-year-old, world no 1 Sinner in the semis.
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
Expand
