Sports

T20 World Cup: Amelia Kerr realises her dream (and Sophie Devine’s) as New Zealand become world champs | Cricket News

Bridgetown, May 16, 2010. The final of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup. Sophie Devine is on strike, Ellyse Perry ran in to bowl. New Zealand, chasing 107, needed 5 runs to win off the last ball, or a four to force a tie. A fullish ball from Perry was driven down the ground with all the power that Devine could muster, but the Australian star – an elite footballer who has represented the Matildas at the Fifa Women’s World Cup – put her right boot out and stopped the ball destined for the boundary line. Australia were champions. Devine sank to her knees. It is a day that still gives her nightmares.
That day, a 9-year-old kid was watching in New Zealand. Amelia Kerr remembers that day. “That day is the reason I decided to become a White Fern,” she told ICC in a video dedicated to Devine before the 2024 final. “It means so much to me (reaching the final with Devine) and the 9-year-old girl who was watching that match.”
On Sunday, Kerr didn’t just play the final with Devine, she was the match-winner and the player of the tournament. The young gun, still only 24, led New Zealand to their first-ever World Cup title, with a stunning all-round performance – 43 off 38 balls and 3/24 as South Africa were defeated 32 runs. “I am a little bit speechless, I am just so stoked to get this win, considering what this team has been through. This is what dreams are made of,” Kerr said.

All-round excellence ✨
Melie Kerr is the Player of the Tournament 👑⬇️#T20WorldCup #WhateverItTakes #SAvNZhttps://t.co/IEzkdk0LMl
— T20 World Cup (@T20WorldCup) October 20, 2024
Asked to bat first, New Zealand posted a superb 158/5 in 20 overs, thanks to Kerr’s 43 and Brooke Halliday’s game-changing 38 off 28 balls. In response, South Africa were off to a strong start, but once Kerr dismissed Laura Wolvaardt, there was no stopping New Zealand, who became only the fourth team to lift this trophy.
While South Africa have been brilliant while chasing in the World Cup, New Zealand started off with great intent thanks to Suzie Bates. While the Powerplay was productive, keeping things ticking in the 7-12 phase had been a bit of an issue for New Zealand.
Turning point
With Kerr struggling for early momentum, and both Devine and Bates back in the dugout, Halliday came in and changed the momentum. Her two boundaries in the 14th over ended a period of 48 balls without a boundary. A target of 159 was always going to be hard but after South Africa’s good start, Kerr and Eden Carson – one of the stars of the tournament – did what New Zealand had been doing consently in the tournament, taking regular wickets in the middle overs.
Coming into the tournament, not many would have given New Zealand a chance to reach the final, let alone win it. They had lost 10 straight T20Is before the World Cup. Devine had announced that she was going to step down as captain after this tournament. But they kept their belief, trusted their preparation, they stayed together – “we care for each other a lot” was a line repeated many times after their win in player interviews.

👑 CHAMPIONS 👑
New Zealand win their maiden Women’s #T20WorldCup title 🏆#WhateverItTakes #SAvNZ pic.twitter.com/Ab0lbjRM4w
— T20 World Cup (@T20WorldCup) October 20, 2024
It marked the end of a long wait for Devine and Bates, the two veterans who played the 2010 final and were present 14 years later too. On the day of the final, Bates became the most capped female international cricketer, playing her 334th match for New Zealand, one more than Mithali Raj’s 333. The two have seen pretty much everything the White Ferns have over the last decade and some, and finally got to call themselves world champions. And they had the youngsters – not just Kerr – to thank for, stepping up repeatedly during the tournament.
“I think we all know that she is a once-in-a-generation player and what she did tonight was incredible,” Devine said of Kerr. “To do what she did with the bat was amazing, battling her cramps. She is not a bad cricketer either, but I am so proud of the person that she is, and how caring she is for this group. The world’s her oyster, and it’s scary to think how good she can be.”

Brief scores: New Zealand 158/5 in 20 overs (Amelia Kerr 43, Brooke Halliday 38, Suzie Bates 32) beat South Africa 126/9 in 20 overs (Laura Volvaardt 33; Amelia Kerr 3/24, Rosemary Mair 3/25) 32 runs

Related Articles

Back to top button