Iran rejects direct negotiations with US over nuclear deal amid Trump’s threat of bombing Tehran | World News

Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian on Sunday rejected direct negotiations with the United States over the nuclear program, offering Tehran’s first response to President Donald Trump’s explosive letter wherein he threatened to bomb Iran if it doesn’t negotiate over the nuclear deal.
President Pezeshkian said that the response of Iran via the sultanate of Oman still has the possibility of indirect negotiations with Washington.
During Trump’s first term in 2018, he had unilaterally withdrawn America from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers. “We don’t avoid talks; it’s the breach of promises that has caused issues for us so far. They must prove that they can build trust,” Pezeshkian said.
Story continues below this ad
The US State Department, in its response to President Pezeshkian, stated that America cannot allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon. “The president expressed his willingness to discuss a deal with Iran. If the Iranian regime does not want a deal, the president is clear, he will pursue other options, which will be very bad for Iran,” the president added.
Trump had earlier said that if Iran doesn’t agree to a nuclear deal, then there will be bombing and “it will be bombing the likes of which they have never seen before”.
Trump had also threatened to impose secondary tariff restrictions on Iran which affect buyers of a country’s goods. Tehran in its response has said that it doesn’t follow the policy to engage in direct negotiations with the United States via pressure tactics.
A report the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog in February stated that Iran had accelerated its production of near-weapons-grade uranium.
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
Expand